Grants & scholarships
We support organizations that share our values and commitment to strengthening our communities.
Our efforts focus on underserved women, youth and students, and on programs that address homelessness and housing affordability, barrier reduction and scholarships for these populations.
Support where it matters most
students helped with
services and scholarships in 2022
nationwide in 2022
17 Empowers grants
Our Symetra Empowers grants invest in local and national organizations working to create long-term, positive change, with a focus on these priorities.
Our grants support organizations empowering BIPOC women and at-risk youth to achieve their goals through entrepreneurship, leadership training and education.
Education and scholarships
Our grants fund scholarships and programs that expand access to education for LGBTQ+ and BIPOC students, and youth who have experienced foster care.
Housing and homelessness
Our grants support programs and organizations that address the disproportionate effects of homelessness and housing affordability for underserved populations.
In 2022, Symetra donated in support of rescue and relief efforts for Hurricane Ian and the war in Ukraine. Donations totaling $50,000 were made to Team Rubicon, World Central Kitchen, UNICEF and Save the Children.
Symetra’s corporate giving priorities are underserved women, youth and students, and addressing housing affordability and homelessness. These priorities reflect our diversity, equity and inclusion values.
Symetra makes grants that align with our giving priorities, primarily to organizations that are tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code (limited exceptions require special approval).
We do not make grants in support of capital campaigns to build or purchase buildings for nonprofit organizations. At this time, Symetra does not accept unsolicited grant requests.
The following are not eligible for corporate giving:
• Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or on the basis of any other protected class
• Individuals, GoFundMe accounts, individuals’ medical expenses, individuals’ legal funds, employee sports teams, raffles or auctions, golf tournament sponsorships or similar sponsorships or fundraising for special events
• Private foundations
• University-level athletic or alumni associations, memberships or funds
• Churches, religious organizations, seminaries or Bible colleges focused primarily on religious studies
• Fraternal, social, labor, trade or political organizations
• Organizations with addresses outside the United States
• Federal candidates
• Federal political action committees
Symetra Life Insurance Company (est. 1957) is a direct subsidiary of Symetra Financial Corporation. First Symetra National Life Insurance Company of New York (est. 1990) is a direct subsidiary of Symetra Life Insurance Company and is an indirect subsidiary of Symetra Financial Corporation (collectively, “Symetra”). Neither Symetra Financial Corporation nor Symetra Life Insurance Company solicits business in the state of New York, and they are not authorized to do so. Each company is responsible for its own financial obligations.
Symetra Life Insurance Company, 777 108th Avenue NE, Suite 1200, Bellevue, WA 98004.
First Symetra National Life Insurance Company of New York, New York, NY. Mailing address P.O. Box 34690, Seattle, WA 98124.