Symetra Trek Plus can help you tackle several retirement needs:
I want growth potential for my money, with some downside protection.
- The interest you earn is based on the performance of one or more market indexes you choose.
- If the index performance is positive at the end of each interest term, you’ll receive interest based on the return of that index up to a predetermined cap or based on a participation rate or trigger rate.
- You can increase your growth potential by selecting indexed accounts with an annual charge. The charge applies regardless of the performance in the indexed account.
- You can also choose an account that credits a fixed rate of interest throughout the year.
- Any interest you earn can grow through compounding and isn’t taxed until you take it out.
I want some downside protection.
- With upside growth potential, there is also downside potential—which means you can lose money. You can choose how much downside risk you are willing to take on.
- Symetra Trek Plus provides three types of limited downside protection:
- Buffer: Protects against losses of up to 10%, 15% or 20%. The portion of losses that exceed 10%, 15% or 20% (determined by the indexed account chosen) are assumed by you, the owner.
- Floor: Limits the losses that you could experience to 10%. Losses in excess of 10% are assumed by Symetra Life Insurance Company. If the index has fallen by 10% or less, your indexed account value will decline by that percentage.
- Barrier: Provides protection only if losses are less than the 15% barrier. If losses exceed 15%, you experience the full loss.
I want access to my money when I need it.
- During the first six years, you can withdraw the greater of 15% of your contract value or the total interest earned in your contract (minus any indexed account charges). Withdrawals exceeding these amounts in any year will be subject to penalties called “surrender charges” and any applicable taxes.
- All withdrawals are free of surrender charges after six years.
- You can surrender (cancel) your contract at any time and receive the current value—minus any applicable surrender charges. The current value may be higher or lower than the initial contract value, depending on the performance of the indexed accounts you chose and any applicable indexed account charges.
I don’t want any surprises.
- During each interest term, the value in your indexed account(s) can increase or decrease each day. The protection of the buffers, floor or barrier only applies at the end of the interest term.
- With the “Return Lock” feature, you can choose to lock in the value of your indexed account during the interest term.
- Federal income taxes may apply to withdrawals, including an additional federal tax of 10% if you take money out and you’re younger than 59½. You may want to consult an attorney or tax professional before making any withdrawals.
This is a high-level overview of Symetra Trek Plus so you can get a sense of whether it might work for you. This is not a complete description. Please ask your registered representative for a complete description of this product.
Securities are offered through Symetra Securities, Inc. (SSI). Member FINRA.
Symetra Trek Plus is an individual single-premium deferred annuity contract with index-linked interest options issued by Symetra Life Insurance Company (SLIC). Contract form number is RSC-0559 3/21 form in most states. In Idaho, contract form number is RSC-0559/ID 3/21. Products, features, terms and conditions may vary by state and may not be available in all U.S. states or any U.S. territory.
SSI and SLIC are affiliates and are both located at 777 108th Avenue NE, Suite 1200, Bellevue, WA 98004-5135. Each company is responsible for its own financial obligations.
Annuity contracts have terms and limitations for keeping them in force. Contact your registered representative for complete details.
Guarantees and benefits are subject to the claims-paying ability of Symetra Life Insurance Company.
Symetra Trek Plus has indexed accounts and a fixed account. Interest credited to the indexed accounts is affected by the value of outside indexes. Values based on the performance of any index are not guaranteed, and the contract value may decrease. The contract does not directly participate in any outside investment.
The indexed accounts with a charge will incur an annual charge that will reduce the contract value, and do not guarantee performance any greater than the indexed accounts without a charge. The indexed account charge will not be refunded regardless of the amount of indexed interest, whether positive or negative that is credited to the indexed account.
Indexed interest is calculated and credited (if applicable) at the end of an interest term. Indexed interest may be positive, negative, or zero. Amounts withdrawn from the indexed account before the end of an interest term will not receive indexed interest for that term.
Overall, withdrawals may result in a loss of principal due to adjustments and charges that may be imposed even if index account(s) performance has been positive.
Protection by the buffer, floor or barrier is only applied at the end of each interest term. If you withdraw money from your indexed account during the interest term, you won’t receive the protection of the buffer, floor or barrier as you would at the end of the interest term.
If the Return Lock feature is exercised, no indexed interest will be credited to the indexed account at the end of the interest term. The indexed account charge, if any, is applied at the time of the Return Lock. Once the indexed account value is locked, this value will not change for the remainder of the interest term (whether that’s 1, 2 or 6 years), unless you take a withdrawal or transfer to another account. After the Return Lock has been exercised, you can restart your interest term or transfer to another account on your next interest term anniversary.
The performance of an index does not reflect the payment or reinvestment of dividends.
It is not possible to invest in an index.
Symetra reserves the right to add, remove or replace any indexes or crediting methods subject to applicable regulatory approval.
The fixed account interest rate, indexed interest caps, participation rates and trigger rates are reset at the beginning of each interest term. Subsequent rates and caps may be higher or lower than the initial rates and caps, but they will never be less than the guaranteed minimums stated in the contract.
Withdrawals may be subject to federal income taxes, and a 10% IRS early withdrawal tax penalty may also apply to amounts withdrawn prior to age 59½. Consult your attorney or tax professional for more information.
SYMETRA LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY (“Symetra”) has filed a registration statement (including a prospectus) with the SEC for Symetra Trek Plus. For more complete information about Symetra and Symetra Trek Plus, you should read the prospectus and other documents Symetra has filed with the SEC before purchasing. These documents are available for free by visiting EDGAR at www.sec.gov. Alternatively, Symetra or your registered representative will provide the prospectus by request. Contact Symetra toll-free at 1-800-796-3872 ext.22136. This material must be preceded or accompanied by a prospectus.
Symetra Trek Plus is a long-term investment designed for retirement purposes. There is a risk of substantial loss of principal. Please refer to the prospectus for more details.
Symetra Trek Plus® is a registered service mark of Symetra Life Insurance Company.