Customer support

Individual life insurance
frequently asked questions

How do I update my address?

How do I change my beneficiary?

What payment methods do you accept for my premiums?

How do I change the billing or bank info on my life insurance policy?

Why did I receive a “Cash Value Insufficient” notice?

I have term life insurance. When does my term period end?

How do I access my policy online for the first time?

Can I take money out of my policy? What are my options?

How can I get a copy of my policy?

The policy owner passed away. How do I change the ownership on the policy?

The insured person passed away. How do I file a claim for the death benefit?

How can I surrender a policy?