Income Edge can help with some common retirement concerns.
I don’t want to run out of money.
Income Edge can guarantee steady income payments for life, even if there’s no money left in your contract. This is the key benefit of the GLWB.
I want my money to grow.
- Any interest you earn is determined each year ([interest term]) and will grow through [compounding] over time.
- If the market [index] you choose goes up, your [indexed account] can be credited interest up to a “cap" (the top percentage you can earn in any given year).
- You can choose a lifetime income option that may increase your income payments each year.
- Your money grows tax-deferred (it's not taxed until you take it out).
I want my money sooner than expected.
- While Income Edge is designed for people who won’t need their money for at least seven years, we know that sometimes plans change.
- You can take withdrawals at any time. However, if your income payments have already begun, additional withdrawals will decrease your future payments.
- You can take out 10% of your annuity’s value each contract year for the first seven years free of [surrender charges], as long as you haven’t started taking lifetime income payments.
- You can take out more than 10% in the first seven years, but the amount withdrawn above 10% may be subject to a surrender charge and a [market value adjustment (MVA)]. The MVA could be a positive or negative adjustment to the amount you take out. After seven years, you can access 100% of your money free of charge.
- You can cancel your contract at any time and get your money back. (Subject to surrender charges and MVAs, and minus any previous withdrawals.)
I don’t want to lose money.
- We guarantee that you will get back the money you put in, plus interest paid. (Subject to [MVAs] and [surrender charges], and minus any previous charges or withdrawals.)
- If you die, your beneficiaries will receive any remaining money in your contract.
- Because you are not actually invested in the market, you will never lose money due to market declines.
- You can choose an option that provides lifetime income payments for both you and your spouse. This means that if one of you dies, the surviving spouse will continue to receive the payments.
I don’t want any surprises.
- Caps and fixed interest rates are reset annually, so they may vary each [interest term].
- The annual charge for the GLWB is 1.20% of the money in your contract. You can cancel the GLWB after five years. If you do, the benefits it provides cannot be reinstated and charges will not be refunded.
- There may be years where you earn no interest if the [index] you choose doesn’t increase or it declines.
- You have a “free-look period,” which means you can cancel your contract and receive a full refund within 30 days of receiving your contract.
- There may be tax consequences for certain withdrawals. Check with your tax advisor before taking any withdrawals.
This is a high-level overview of Symetra Income Edge so you can get a sense of whether it might work for you. This is not a complete description. Please ask your financial professional or insurance producer for a complete description of this product.