Financial wellness is a leading cause of stress for many workers. In today’s high-deductible health plan marketplace, employees are expected to pay a growing share of out-of-pocket expenses. For many employees, just meeting the deductible can be a challenge.
Financial stress can impact an individual’s health, relationships and productivity. By utilizing voluntary benefits—such as disability, accident and critical illness coverage—employers can help ensure their workforce stays financially well while managing the bottom line.
Expect the unexpected
No one knows when an accident or serious illness will strike, but having a comprehensive benefits package can help provide some peace of mind. Coverages like the ones listed below typically pair well with high-deductible plans:
- Accident: Can pay a fixed or expense-based benefit for eligible expenses related to an accidental injury.
- Critical illness: Usually provides benefits as a lump-sum payment upon the diagnosis of conditions like cancer, stroke or heart attack.
- Dental: Pays a percentage or fixed dollar amount for preventive and basic dental services.
- Disability income: Replaces a portion of lost income if an employee is unable to work due to an injury or illness.
- Fixed-payment inpatient hospital coverage: Offers a set benefit amount per day for eligible services and supplies received in a hospital or other similar facility.
- Life insurance: Helps families stay financially secure by paying a benefit in the event of an insured’s death.
- Vision: Pays for vision hardware at 100% up to defined maximums; may include an eye exam benefit.
For more information to share with your clients, read our financial wellness Inside Track educational paper.